Thursday, December 13, 2012

Schizophrenia and The Whale

After some thought I have decided that NY actors are ADHD, Schizophrenic, or bipolar (or most likely, just have symptoms). In the last month I have changed my mind just about every day on what I want to do with my life. So let's start with the obvious...Acting. (BTW...after seeing this show tonight I'm feeling all emotional and wise...so buckle in for the ride).

Sometimes you forget when you haven't read a script with other people in over 7 months, that acting is really freakin fun!! I was fortunate enough to do a reading with The Drawing Board. It was incredibly exciting to create a role (especially a comedic one!) And even more thrilling to get to read with other talented people. I won't go into too much detail, but basically it's easy to forget how much you enjoy and love something when you haven't been doing it in so long. Thus I learned that I need to take some classes if I'm not doing anything because I can't go that long again forgetting how great acting is!

Well of course, I tell myself how great acting is, but then a week later with no auditions (because these have been the slowest months ever) I decide I want to be a teacher. Because teachers are important and are the ones who help create and mold powerful actors. Not to mention, I saw one of my old acting teachers today for the first time in years. I was reminded how he and other people always inspired and encouraged me, and I'm so appreciative of them. So now I have been looking into how to get my teaching certificate or my masters for very cheap...but THEN

I go to actorfest. And for the most part I thought it was horrible, BUT I did get a little gem out of it. I went to a commercial workshop, and the casting director spoke about how commercials are all about improv, being a character, and pushing the boundaries, so I decided "Screw it! I need to move to LA and be on tv!"

So I either have a mental disorder, or I'm a young girl in my 20's who just wants to do it all. And you know what's great? That's okay. I don't have to settle down and find that thing I'm going to do for the rest of my life right now. I can be doing lots of different jobs till I find what I want. And it seems like so many people right now are graduating and going "Okay I need a job that pays me 75,000 a year, a house, a spouse, and a retirement plan". And that's great and all, but I'm going to tell you that the adventure, as scary as it is most of the time, can also be entirely fun. So you're a struggling actor...join the other 95% of your friends who are. So you work a part time job...spend that time collecting funny stories. So you can't afford to go out...learn to cook! I guess I just spend a lot of time getting bogged down wanting to plan my future and hear from so many of my friends who are the same way, but it's pretty darn cool that I can do whatever I want right now (as long as I am making enough money to pay rent and student loans). And while I'm on the subject of life...let me tell you about this play that changed my life....

It was the most amazing, powerful, motivational, phenomenal, gut wrenching, moving play I may have ever seen. "The Whale" at Playwrights Horizons was just out of this world. I can't even describe to people how emotionally impacted I was. When I try to it comes out as "and then" "it was just so" "ahh I felt" and "then I just sobbed for an hour". Ultimately it comes down to this: the actors were fabulous, the design elements were spot on, the metaphors, themes, and message were overwhelming, and the playwright has won my heart. It deserves to be on Broadway, though the intimate setting probably made the play. I have seen hundreds of shows in my life I'm sure, and I'm telling you I think this may have been the best one yet. For those of you who are in theatre, just think back to that show that changed your life...and double it. That's this one.

So right now my life is fabulous...but ask me again in an hour. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment