Thursday, March 15, 2012

Did someone say "FIRE?"

Most of you are thinking...geez never thought she was gonna write another blog post again! WRONG. I've just been so wrapped up in auditions. That's right, January-March is known in the nyc acting world as "wake up at the ass crack of dawn so you can beat the millions of other people that fall out of the sky to the audition, so you can get seen". Equity opens it's doors earlier (7:30am) and the alternate list for equity actors is up to 181 people long (that doesn't even include EMC and non eq). Let's just put it this way, if you want to audition in NY these are the months to come, but don't be surprised if the veterans say "what are all these young college kids doing here?" (Note: this was said to me....suddenly I look older than 21??)

With these crazy busy auditions comes some crazy people. Things I've seen:
  • Choirs of people randomly breaking out into hums/notes (we are not mosquitos) 
  • A girl putting on mascara by flicking her eye lids at least 30 times with the brush in front of them
  • A yellow tinkerbell...or a sexy neon green corset. Was she going for a role or trying to sleep with the Casting Director?
  • A vest, literally covered in feathers 
  • Posing for yourself in the mirror...guess we really are vain 
  •  A person COMPLETELY changing in the middle of the lounge. btw, there are dressing rooms 
I also saw a man who pitched a royal fit when he wasn't allowed to bring his coffee into the lounge..a grown man. Here's some advice, there are hundreds of thousands of actors in NY, if you are going to be a pain, no one will hire you...you are replaceable (sorry Beyonce).

Sometimes being replaceable is a good thing...like if you are part of a really horrible reading that they want to take to showcase...you can drop out! (Not like I'm speaking from personal experience or anything...)

Quick story to leave you with. I was at an audition and found out that people from a theatre I worked with when I was a child were holding auditions upstairs in the same building. I'm not much of a singer anymore, so I didn't want to audition for them, just say hi. I thought it was going to be impossible to just sneak in when they were very busy. I lucked out. There door was open and my old director and producer were there from the production that got me my equity card almost 10 years ago. Not only was I thrilled to see them but it reinvigorated me. I am still living the dream that I've had since I was 5. I'm still doing what I love to do...I'm actually doing it. How many people get to say that? It's giving me the push I need to keep chugging along through the auditions, the classes, and the failures. 

As Aerosmith says "DREAM ON!"

No comments:

Post a Comment